Even the fussiest eater will love this comforting Italian sausage and pasta dish. Prepared and cooked in just 30 minutes in one big pot, this comforting and surprisingly wholesome dinner makes a perfect weeknight supper.
You simply sauté Italian sausage and peppers in a rich sauce of tomato paste, red wine, and Italian seasoning and toss with cooked whole-wheat penne pasta. The choice of sausage is up to you. You can look forward to this dish becoming a staple in your home.
- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound Italian sausage links
- 1 small green pepper, sliced
- 1 small red pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced thin
- ½ cup red wine (merlot or pinot noir)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 12 ounces water
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Parmesan cheese for garnishing
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water until al dente. Don’t throw away the cooking water.
- In a large skillet, add about a tablespoon of olive oil, and heat over a moderate-high heat. Cook the sausages until brown on all sides. When they are almost cooked through, remove the sausages and slice into ¼ inch pieces. These will finish cooking in the sauce.
- Add another teaspoon or so of olive oil to the same skillet and cook the peppers and onions over a gentle heat until slightly softened. This should take about five minutes.
- Stir the sausage into the pepper and onion mixture and deglaze with red wine.
- Continue to cook, stirring in the tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, Italian seasoning, sugar and salt.
- Once the mixture reaches boiling point, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for ten minutes.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce. The cooking water you saved may be useful to thin the sauce if it is too thick.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and top with grated Parmesan cheese.