Nothing says “comfort food” like a warm, ooey, gooey calzone. Albert’s Italian Sausage and Mozzarella Calzones recipe is one of the best and we’re sure you’ll make them time and time again! Make them for the big game and your friends will be cheering for their team and for your calzones.
- 1 lb Albert’s Sweet Italian Sausage Patties
- ½ cup of your favorite marinara
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 2 ½ – 3 cups flour
- egg wash (1 egg plus 1 Tbs water beaten together)
- 2 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese
- Brown sausage in medium pan over high heat.
- Drain and then stir in marinara sauce.
- Remove from heat and seat aside.
- Add the yeast and warm water to an electric mixer bowl. After the yeast has activated (a few minutes) attach the dough hook to begin mixing.
- Next add the salt, sugar, and oil and mix on low speed. Slowly add 2 1/2 cups of flour and turn speed up to medium.
- The dough may be sticky. If so, you can add more flour, as much as 1/2 cup until the dough pulls away from the bowl.
- After kneading with the dough hook for a few minutes, the dough should form a ball. This can also be done by hand if you do not have a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment.
- Once the dough has been kneaded for a few minutes, roll it out on a floured surface to 1/2″ think. Use a biscuit cutter or a 3″ glass to cut the dough into six circles.
- Sprinkle each circle generously with flour as you roll them into approximately 8″ in diameter.
- Spread the sausage mixture over one half of each of the six dough circles and then add the mozzarella cheese.
- Fold the empty half of the dough over the filling, sealing the edges with the tines of a fork, or the rim of a spoon.
- Place the calzones on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and cover with a kitchen towel so they can rise while heating the oven to 400 degrees.
- Just before placing the calzones in the oven, brush each with the egg wash and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the top of the calzones are golden brown.
- Warm the marinara and enjoy!