This is a traditional dish of the Albert’s family that is made every year to bring in the new year…or just when we want a great meal!
by Brian Weiss
- 2 bags Kraut
- ½ chopped onion
- ½ cup white wine ( optional)2
- 2 Green Apple
- ½# Bacon cut ¼’ pcs.
- 2 Lg. Potato
- 1 Albert’s Brand Smoked Ham Hock
- 1 Package Albert’s Polska Kielbassi
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Dash Caraway Seed
- 1 Dash Sugar
- 1 Dash Salt
- 1 Dash Pepper
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- Wash Kraut thoroughly
- Add bacon and onion to pot put on low to medium Heat, cook covered until transparent
- Add kraut, chicken broth, bay leaf, pepper,sugar, caraway seed is optional
- Peel and shred potato add to mixture
- Add smoked hock
- Peel and cut apple into pieces then add to mixture and turn to a low heat
- Cut up Albert’s Polska Kielbassi into 2 inch pieces set on bottom of baking dish, cover with saurkraut mixture then cover with lid or foil.
- Add smoked hock cover and bake at 300 degrees for no less than 1 hour then turn down to 220 deg and bake for a additional hour or two.
Then remove and serve.
- Remove from oven let stand for at least 20mim. And then you are ready to serve. This dish I will sometimes make the day before
- Let cool , refrigerate overnight and reheat the next day, It really gives the flavores a chance to get all together.
Please feel free to add more or less of any of these ingredients to mak it to your liking. I prefer to add more pepper
And always be sure to use Albert’s Brand Meat Products for the best tasting meals!